Everybody knows that the process of making a research report is usually quite long. You finished the report, approved it, then issued in the chosen magazine. And now? What are you going to do now? You have to fold your hands until the moment you see this paper published, wait for citing and co-authoring. Other anticipations and your own ambitions are also in this waiting list.
Daily more than 5000 reports are published, so you should consider about your personal promotion in addition to the publisher’s one.
You may ask: “Where?” and “How?”
This report will help you to answer the questions “where” and “how” to do your own promotion.
In the beginning, investigate the publisher’s policy in the matter of distribution the paper’s content. Then you may start your own promotion in other advertising services. A big number of them is offered but there are two main types: free and payable. Of course, free services take more time and more work comparing with the paid ones.
1. Free publicity
Involves social media: Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, where you may place your reports, enter the links or just post and comment in your account.
Take note of industry media tools as well. There you may create a free link to your report and informational materials. Here are the most popular:
In case there is an information archive in your organization, you have an opportunity to post your report there and during a limited time frame your paper will be in open access.
With RSS feeds of ToC, report references, you should spread the links so that your content is easy to find and read. The example of such reference may be a link, which opens access to your report for a certain time interval, or a link, which opens access to the list of people you choose, for instance, colleagues or friends. Nevertheless, you may spread the explicit reference to your article wit
hout any limits.
It is a useful mode to show your report and to discuss it with other people, who are close to this investigation area. In promotion, it is required to add keywords of the report for adding the reference to the research while you are in the process of mind sharing with academic community. Taking part in further discussions and adding your comments to the posts is another useful idea. Thus, you demonstrate that you have an active position as a participant and do not just publicize your papers. If there is somebody, who mentioned your repost in weblog, you will be able to monitor it via free Altmetric bookmarklet.
- You may appeal to Wikipedia – in case you would like to share the topical reference with the theme of your study at Wikipedia page directly.
- To recognize your research paper from others you may receive a stable digital identifier to make sure your publication is recognizable. It supports the automated connection between you and your professional activities.
2. Paid publicity
It works good and surely demands some
costs but it is well worth the effort.
- Video abstracts assist you to profile your paper publishing and to bring new people to your review, even if such people are out of your network or community. Such companies as Research Square will be useful for you.
- TrendMD — by a means of software technology it helps paper publishers to advertise the report’s content on the TrendMD’s widget.
- Present at Conferences. Diverse research areas offer a big number of conferences. With the help of this method, you may deliver your science study immediately to the community.