Nowadays review is a main part of the publishing process. When scientists come to the point when they can give practical pieces of advice for an academic society, it can be the moment of making an effort to be a reviewer.
In our earlier topic we have given several tips [1,2] from our editors about organizing reviewer’s work, but today we would like to underline the benefits of being a reviewer. At first sight, the advances are not evident because reviewing takes time and minds forces. Virtually, it is a hard job, but surely benefits exist. It is well known that the benefits for the Reviewers are associated mainly with their professional growth, with expanding the knowledge in the field, developing of the critical thinking etc. Below we collected the great benefits to becoming a reviewer:
- You can make interesting and valuable contacts with Editorial board members who are the recognized experts in your subject(s). This may help you in the further research practice and academic growth, for example, to receive grants or to be a faculty member.
- Also being a reviewer is self-satisfaction. If you are invited to be reviewer it means that you became an expert in your area.
- Establish your expertise in the field and expand your knowledge.
- You will be aware of the latest methods and trends in your area of expertise.
- You can improve your editing and writing skills, master new styles of writing.
- Enhance your critical thinking experience that can lead to new conceptions in your own work.
- Improve your reputation and increase your exposure to key figures in the field.
- The peer reviewer is a big advance to your carrier. You will become acquainted with the editorial process inside and it will help to publish your own articles in the future.
Hence, being a reviewer can give you valuable advantages in your professional life, broaden your range of vision and bring new ideas for your further investigations.
Besides, some Publishers have various Reviewer Recognition Programme. Such Programme aims to engage in different ways reviewers and reward them for the work they do. It may be, for instance, a free access to specific databases for certain period of time. Furthermore, one of the benefits to be a Reviewer for open access journal is an opportunity to receive a discount voucher to an Article Processing Charge reduction. Vouchers are usually provided by Open Access Publishers to the Reviewers for their efforts and expertise contributed to reviewing of the manuscripts.
Additionally, Reviewers may add their reports to Publons and get the recognition they deserve for participation in the quality control of the manuscripts. Please, visit How do I add reviews to Publons? to get to know about this opportunity.
We are always open to new reviewers. If you would like to join Scipress.com reviewer team, you are welcome to contact us.
 Undertaking an academic peer review for journals. Tips from an editor. https://blog.scipress.com/posts/undertaking-an-academic-peer-review-for-journals-tips-from-an-editor
 What is the procedure for publishing a research paper in international journals? https://blog.scipress.com/posts/what-is-the-procedure-for-publishing-a-research-paper-in-international-journals